Subacute care is comprehensive inpatient care designed for someone who has an acute injury, illness, or disease. These patients are stable enough to no longer need acute care, but require more skilled care than what is available at most nursing facilities.
Our 6th floor western wing is dedicated to providing this specialized and high-tech medical care. We are the only hospital in Downtown Los Angeles to offer Subacute services, focused on improving physical and functional well-being.
Coordinated Care To Get You Back To Life
Patients in the Subacute Unit at California Hospital receive rehabilitation therapy that acts as a bridge, transitioning patients from hospital care back to the community. Being located within the hospital enables care and treatment by the same physicians, therapists, and care professionals, helping ensure a coordinated transition and improved outcomes. Our team works hard to ensure patients achieve their highest level of independence as quickly as possible.
Who Can Be Admitted?
California Hospital Medical Center provides Subacute services to residents aged 18 years and older with:
- Multiple Trauma, including head and/or spinal cord injury
- Degenerative Diseases including:
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Respiratory Diseases/End Stage COPD
- Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome
- Respiratory support, including:
- Ventilator dependency
- Tracheostomies and/or Gastrostomy tubes
What Clinical Services Are Offered?
Through an interdisciplinary team approach, we offer 24-hour care, including:
- Nursing Care
- Respiratory Care
- Laboratory, Radiology and Diagnostic Services
- Occupational, Physical and Speech Therapy
- TPN Therapy and Wound Care
Severe injury or illness often affects the spirit as well as the body. That is why in addition to clinical services, we also offer the following to residents and their families:
- Social Services
- Family and Resident Councils
- Spiritual Care
- Case Managers to assure prompt and flexible admissions
- Activities Programs – both group and individual activities that appeal to patient's personal preference
To find out more about the Subacute Care Unit at California Hospital Medical Center, please call (213) 742-5638.
For a Physician Referral, call (888) 742-2462 or use our online feature, Find a Doctor.