This clinic is advancing the science of cardiovascular and thoracic surgery in the Las Vegas Valley, which means the rate of post-surgical complications will decrease while patient survival rates increase. The program brings leading-edge technology to heart and thoracic surgeries in Las Vegas and Henderson, including new types of hybrid cardiac/cardiovascular surgery procedures.
The St. Rose|Stanford affiliation maintains the independence of both medical centers while providing an infrastructure that fosters partnership and collaboration among staff at both institutions. By joining forces, Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican and Stanford now provide academic-based care in southern Nevada in these Stanford satellite clinics.
Advanced Cardiac Treatments at the St. Rose|Stanford Clinic
The St. Rose|Stanford Clinic combines the expertise and compassion of our heart specialists with the nationally renowned experts at Stanford to bring an unprecedented level of care to you. Our goals are to:
- Provide university-affiliated medical care close to home
- Offer more minimally-invasive treatments
Advanced treatments the Clinic provides include:
- "Beating heart" surgery, a less invasive type of heart procedure that does not require the use of a heart-lung bypass machine. Our team uses this procedure to treat a wide range of heart conditions, from atrial fibrillation and valve repair to congenital heart defects and coronary artery disease.
- Minimally invasive cardiac and thoracic surgeries, surgical techniques that result in less pain and a shorter recovery
- Transmyocardial laser revascularization, a treatment that improves blood flow to the heart in patients with inoperable heart conditions (including severe angina and coronary artery disease)
- Maze procedure for atrial fibrillation, a complex procedure to stop erratic heart rhythms
- Robotic-assisted cardiac surgery, using the da Vinci® Si Surgical System, a robotic surgical system we use to perform mitral valve surgeries at our St. Rose Dominican, San Martín Campus.
Benefits of Minimally-Invasive Heart Surgery
Minimally-invasive heart surgery techniques, such as robotic-assisted surgery for mitral valve repairs, require smaller incisions and less manipulation of healthy tissue. This means less pain and a faster recovery.
Other benefits of minimally-invasive surgery include:
- More precise surgery
- Less blood loss
- Less scarring
- Shorter hospital stay
St. Rose|Stanford Clinics Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgeons
Ashraf Osman, M.D., FACS, FICS, FCCP, a cardiac and thoracic surgeon and clinical assistant professor at Stanford University, joined the St. Rose|Stanford Clinics staff in August 2014, and is the fifth full-time Stanford faculty physician to join. He is double board certified in Cardiothoracic Surgery and in General Surgery.
Dr. Osman conducts a broad spectrum of cardiac surgery procedures including valve repairs and replacements, coronary artery bypass grafting and lung surgery, including the video assisted thorascopic surgery (VATS) approach. Osman is also a member of Stanford's Heart Transplant Program and will care for Las Vegas-area potential heart-transplant patients before and after transplant procedures that will be performed at Stanford Hospital in California.
Robert G. Wiencek, Jr., M.D., FACS, Cardiovascular Surgeon, is a longtime local cardiovascular surgeon (he's practiced in the Las Vegas valley since 1991) and a Stanford School of Medicine clinical professor of cardiothoracic surgery since 2013. Dr. Wiencek has a special interest in minimally-invasive and robotically-assisted cardiovascular surgeries that help patients recover more quickly and have lower likelihoods of serious complications.
A recent Best Doctors survey by Seven magazine and Consumers’ Checkbook noted Dr. Wiencek was named most often by his physician peers as the best local cardiothoracic surgeon as well as the best vascular surgeon in the Las Vegas Valley.
St. Rose|Stanford Clinics
2865 Siena Heights Drive, Suite 131
Henderson, NV 89052
(across the street from the Siena Campus)
To consult with a cardiac, thoracic or neurosurgeon at St. Rose|Stanford Clinics, ask your physician for a referral or call (702) 616-6580 for an appointment.