Below Are Some Of The Hospital's Milestones
- In 1940, eight Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Christian Charity were assigned to Santa Maria to manage and staff a hospital urgently needed by a growing community of 8,000 people.
- In 1943, the 1,000th baby was born at Sisters’ Hospital, and by 1957, the hospital had 85 acute care beds and 15 bassinets.
- In 1965, the Sisters broke ground on a new 125-bed hospital facility on land donated by Captain and Mrs. Allan Hancock, generous Santa Maria benefactors. The hospital opened in 1967.
- In 1985, after a community-sponsored fund drive, Marian opened the first Kidney Dialysis Center on the Central Coast.
By 1987, Marian Hospital was offering an array of specialty services and changed name of Marian Hospital to Marian Medical Center. Marian also opened Marian Extended Care Center, Marian Children’s Center, Marian Home Care Services and Marian Hospice.
- In 1994, Marian founded Marian New Life.
- In 1996, Marian held a dedication ceremony to celebrate the opening of the Heart Center and new west wing of the Medical Center. The addition of over 44,000 square feet housed cardiovascular services with an increased number of larger surgical suites, special suites for cardiac surgery, and the modernization of other services including central supply.
- In 1997, Marian's Oncology Program began and Marian Cancer Center and Marian Community Clinics opened. This also marked the year of Marian Medical Center’s merger with Catholic Healthcare West.
- In 2002, a second, state of the art cardiac catheterization lab was added and, with generous community support, Marian opened Marian West.
In 2012, we officially became part of Dignity Health and Marian becomes Marian Regional Medical Center