The program fits well within the mission of Mercy Redding, in continuing the healing ministry of Jesus Christ, in serving the poor and underserved. This intensive orientation program is a step in assuring high-quality nursing care for all our patients served.Please note: Applications will be accepted and reviewed starting the beginning of March 2016 for approximately three weeks.
1. Program length is 12 to 16 weeks of full-time work, with the first 8 weeks spent working five days a week, eight hour days. Weeks nine to 12 or 16, depending on unit placement, will be 12 hour shifts. After program completion, the nurse will move into their 12 hour shift, full-time position in the appropriate unit. Please review the following conditions of program participation.
- Paid Time Off (PTO) will NOT be granted during this time
- No floating to other nursing units during this time unless assigned or approved by the Education Department
2. Rock Solid participants will have the opportunity to be assigned to a variety of departments and disciplines within the hospital environment, and will learn about other departments that directly or indirectly contribute to patient care. These assignments occur primarily during the first eight weeks.
3. Classroom education will occur throughout the program, each week on Fridays from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. with guest speakers and hands on activities including simulation training
4. Specific competency programs will be utilized to provide the Rock Solid participants with:
- Working knowledge of resources available
- Familiarity with key policies and procedures
- Reassurance that selected nursing interventions are being safely and effectively performed.
5. The Rock Solid participants will work with the preceptor in the clinical area 100 percent of the time for the first 12 to 16 weeks depending on the unit placement.
6. During the last three to four weeks of the program, the Rock Solid participant will be expected to carry a full patient load. The participant will continue to gain expertise in providing patient care with the continued guidance from a preceptor as needed.
About Mercy Medical Center Redding - Supporting Patients Together
Mercy Medical Center Redding – Dignity Health is a 267-licensed bed, progressive Level II Trauma Center, located in Redding, California. Specialty units include a NICU, Family Birth Unit, Intensive and Cardiovascular Care Units, Emergency Services (Level II Trauma), Endoscopy, Oncology, and a Perioperative Services program.
Program Start Date
1st Monday of July
After the initial program has been completed, successful candidates will be placed in full-time, benefitted positions in one of the departments listed below:
- Intensive Care Unit
- Medical & Cardiac Telemetry
- Medical Acute
- Surgical Acute
Application must be completed online through the Dignity Health website.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited nursing program (ADN or BSN) with a 3.0 GPA or higher and have graduated between Winter Semester prior or current Spring/Summer Semester. We are unable to make any exceptions to this requirement. Candidates with a BSN are preferred.
- Must have a current California RN license and BLS-HCP certification by program start date.
- Must submit ALL additional documentation. Attach the following to your candidate profile:
- Completed application
- A paragraph that states why you decided to pursue a career in nursing and why you are interested in a career with our facility. Please limit this to 1-2 paragraphs on a single page, uploaded with your application.
- Two references, in letter form, which include one instructor AND one from a former or current employer.
- Resume must include number of clinical hours and location/placement for rotations.
Applications without all of the required documentation will not be considered.
All of the required additional documentation should be scanned and uploaded as a word or PDF file and uploaded to your application profile online. If you encounter any problems with the upload, please fax it to 530.242.5289 with a cover letter and your name clearly printed. You must complete an online application, regardless of how you have submitted your additional documentation. All documents must be received before the March deadline.
To Apply and Learn More
You can click on this APPLY NOW link to complete the application process for the Rock Solid program.
Questions can be emailed to Kathy.Sterner@dignityhealth.org.
Please do not call Human Resources or the recruiter with questions, due to high volumes.