In 1933, an earthquake shook Long Beach and destroyed St. Mary’s Hospital. The Sisters rebuilt and continued to expand to include many of the services that exist today. The hospital lives its mission through a deep and historic involvement with the Long Beach community. We provide a continuum of care that meets the preventive, curative, supportive and rehabilitative needs of the city’s diverse population.
In 1996, St. Mary Medical Center became a part of Catholic Healthcare West (renamed Dignity Health in 2012) continuing the Sisters’ ministry of service. The Sisters are an integral part of both Dignity Health and St. Mary serving on our Boards, in Spiritual Care Services, Administration, and as Patient Representatives.
St. Mary Medical Center today
Much has happened since the hospital opened its doors in 1923, including additions in the 1970s of the Bauer Tower, which houses the main hospital patient units, the Parr Health Enhancement Center, six clinics, a 24-Hour Emergency and Trauma Center. We're a teaching facility affiliated with the UCLA School of Medicine and also has a Medical Education Internal Medicine Residency Program that develops leading physicians for our community. Mary Hilton Family Health Center, the Raymond and Helen Bazzeni Senior Center, and the Center for Surgical Treatment of Obesity, a center of excellence.
Today, we're a hospital that continues to grow and to meet the growing needs of the Long Beach community.