Young volunteers can make a difference beyond their years.
The Youth Companion program at Memorial Hospital is an opportunity for students, between the ages of 15 to 17 years old, to gain valuable experience and enjoy the satisfaction that comes from helping others.
Youth Companions play an important role in the health care team. By providing interaction and companionship for patients throughout the hospital, whether by reading to a patient, playing cards, or just sitting and listening, these volunteers help to provide the best experience for our patients.
In order to serve as a Youth Companion, you must:
- Currently in high school and between the ages of 15 - 17
- Commit to a minimum of one year of volunteer service
- Available a minimum of three hours per week: one three hour school day (4 - 7 p.m.) or up to eight hours on a weekend. Maximum of 18 hours per week.
- Able to read and speak English fluently
- Proof of current immunizations
- A physical exam, drug test, and two TB skin tests (provided by the hospital) are required
- Communicate easily with others
All Youth Companions will complete an application and the appropriate consent forms as well as attend orientation before volunteer service can begin.
Learn More About Our Youth Companion Program
Please call (661) 327-4647 ext 4454
or download the application and consent form here