Start your "after" story
Enjoy the life you were meant to have. Find out if bariatric surgery is right for you.
The physical, emotional, and health benefits of weight loss surgery can put life on a whole new path. We invite you to attend an informational seminar or take our free online assessment to help determine if bariatric surgery is right for you.
Our free informational seminars are designed to help you better understand weight loss surgery options, the requirements before a procedure, and what to expect after surgery in order to decide if bariatric surgery is for you.
At the seminar, you’ll have the opportunity to meet some of the team that will be there to offer you the support you need along the way.
Select our hospital nearest you and register for an upcoming seminar to learn about your options.
- Arroyo Grande Community Hospital
- French Hospital Medical Center
- Marian Regional Medical Center
- St. John's Pleasant Valley Hospital
- St. John's Regional Medical Center
Our quick online assessment is another way to help determine if bariatric surgery might be right for you. It takes only a few minutes and the detailed report you'll receive based on your input can be a valuable tool in your decision making process.
Why Choose Dignity Health?
The physicians and staff associated with Dignity Health will be with you every step of the way on your weight loss journey, from our introductory education session and physician consultation, to nutrition counseling, weight loss surgery and post-surgery support.
Our patients have access to a nurse coordinator, dietitian, pharmacy, rehabilitation and wellness center, and medical specialists from every needed service in order guide you on your weight loss journey.
We are here to help you develop the tools to begin your new life—a life of improved health, activity and longevity.
St. John’s Surgical Weight Loss Institute and Weight Loss Surgical Institute of the Central Coast are designated as MBSAQIP Accredited Bariatric Surgery Centers by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery and are designated Blue Distinction Centers for Bariatric Surgery.
These distinctions recognize our comprehensive and personalized approach to treating the patient and providing tools for lifelong success, including:
- Pre-surgery Education Seminars
- Physician Consultations
- Nutrition Counseling
- Exercise Planning
- Support Groups
- Post-surgery Follow-up
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?
We recognize the obstacles and challenges you face every day and applaud you for taking the first step on your journey toward better health. To qualify for bariatric surgery, you must meet the following criteria established by the National Institutes of Health and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery:
- You are more than 100 pounds over your ideal weight
- You have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or greater or a BMI of 35-39.9, along with two or more medical conditions such as diabetes and/or hypertension which would improve significantly with weight loss
- You have tried and been unable to lose weight through diet and exercise
- You are prepared to make a lifelong commitment to dietary, exercise and behavioral changes necessary for long-term success
- You have no mental or behavioral disorders that may interfere with long-term weight loss success
Important Facts about Obesity and Bariatric Surgery
Patients who choose bariatric surgery to help them lose weight can achieve long-lasting weight loss. Here you’ll find important facts about obesity and bariatric surgery.