During the first six weeks of your newborn’s life, a doctor or nurse can deliver postnatal care at the hospital or at your home (after a home birth) to ensure your baby’s optimum health and wellness.
If you’re looking for the right place to have your baby, consider Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican hospitals. Our San Martín Campus has a Level II NICU and our Siena Campus has a Level III NICU, the highest level of care. In addition, St. Rose Dominican is the only Children’s Miracle Network Hospital in the region.
For more information about post delivery care in Las Vegas or Henderson, NV, call us at (702) 616-4900 or find an obstetrician online who delivers at St. Rose.
Benefits of Postnatal Care in Las Vegas, NV
Postnatal care immediately after birth includes:
- Newborn screenings, such as blood tests, hearing tests, and a congenital heart defect test
- Skin-to-skin contact with you during the first hour of life
- Vaccinations and special eye drops or ointment to prevent infection
- Attempt at breastfeeding during the first hour of life
- Complete physical checkup within the first day of your baby’s life
Postnatal care within the days and weeks after birth includes:
- Bonding with your baby, including talking, singing, eye contact, and skin-to-skin contact
- Sponge bathing until the umbilical cord falls off and until circumcision heals (if applicable)
- Frequent diaper changes (especially right after bowel movements) and warm baths and diaper cream for diaper rash
- Feeding every two to three hours
- Help from a lactation consultant (if you are breastfeeding). Our hospitals have the most extensive breastfeeding programs in the state — the Siena Campus has lactation staff coverage seven days a week, and the San Martín Campus has coverage six days a week (Monday-Saturday, closed on Sunday). We also have Lactation Consultants, Lactation Counselors, and Lactation Educators.
- Well-child exams at one week and one month after birth (for vaccinations and measuring growth and development milestones)
To learn more about the post pregnancy care we offer, register to take a tour of our Birth Centers. St. Rose Dominican also offers a free Baby Growth Tracker mobile app to help you stay on top of your baby’s health.
What to Expect With Postnatal Care
The first minutes of your baby’s life are important for their health. During this time, your doctor, nurses, and support staff evaluate your baby for any potential problems and provide necessary care. They also perform tests to measure your baby’s breathing and heart rate.
Your health care provider will continue to assess the health of your baby in a hospital, a doctor’s office, at your home, or over the phone, depending on your baby’s specific needs. Together with your doctor, you can make sure your baby receives everything he or she needs to be as healthy as possible.
Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican hospitals provide reliable postnatal care in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV.