If you are interested in learning about breastfeeding your baby, Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican can help.
Our hospitals have the most extensive breastfeeding programs in Nevada. We provide in-hospital support through our Lactation Consultants, Lactation Counselors, and Lactation Educators.
In our Level III NICU at the Siena Campus, we can provide donor human milk to premature or medically fragile babies while mom waits for her own milk to come in.
Our Siena Campus provides lactation staff coverage seven days per week. In our San Martín Campus, our lactation staff is available to our moms five days per week. If you’d like to meet with a lactation consultant in Las Vegas or Henderson, NV, find an obstetrician with our online tool or call (702) 616-4900.
Why a Lactation Consultation May be Helpful
When you meet with one of our lactation consultants, you’ll be given all the information you need to breastfeed your baby, including support and assistance before birth, in the hospital (or at home if you have a home birth), and after birth.
Our lactation consultants know that breastfeeding is a complex process. They can help you solve any breastfeeding problems you have and give you confidence in your ability to breastfeed at home.
You may consider breastfeeding and lactation support if:
- You have twins, triplets, etc.
- You have a lot of pain and discomfort with breastfeeding
- Your baby isn’t growing or thriving
- You have a health problem or condition that causes breastfeeding complications
- Your baby was born prematurely
- Your baby has a birth defect that makes feeding difficult
- You’re frustrated with breastfeeding
To learn more, register for Breastfeeding Classes online or by calling (702) 616-4900.
What to Expect With a Lactation Consultation
Depending on your needs and preferences, you may meet with a lactation consultant at a breastfeeding class while you are pregnant, in the hospital after birth, or at home after you’ve been discharged from the hospital.
During your lactation consultation, your consultant will talk with you about your health, your baby’s health, and the status of your breastfeeding. During your visits, your lactation consultant may:
- Ask you about previous breastfeeding experiences
- Examine your breasts and nipples for signs of bruising, infection, and cracking
- Observe you breastfeeding your baby
- Identify problems and make suggestions to improve your breastfeeding
- Weigh your baby before and after feeding to see how much milk he or she is drinking
- Show you how to use a breast pump effectively or make suggestions on technique
Whatever your needs may be, our lactation consultants can provide personalized care to help you and your baby create a healthy breastfeeding relationship.
Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican hospitals offer comprehensive lactation consultation in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV.