Pediatric Emergency Medicine at St. Rose Dominican Hospital
Pediatric emergency medicine is a subspecialty of emergency medicine that focuses on children and teens with acute illnesses and injuries. Our pediatric emergency medicine doctors are highly experienced in caring for the unique needs of children and teens in emergencies. They provide immediate medical care for conditions that are serious or life threatening.
Wait at home, not the ER. Schedule an estimated arrival time at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican hospitals using our online waiting service for pediatric emergency medicine in Henderson, NV.
Reasons for Visiting a Children’s Emergency Room
Children are not small adults. Their bodies and their minds are completely different. When should you take your child to the ER? Your child or teen may need pediatric emergency services for:
- Abdominal conditions such as appendicitis, intestinal blockage, or infection
- Allergies, including seasonal allergies, exposure to poison ivy, and anaphylaxis, a life-threatening allergic reaction
- Bone, joint, and muscle problems, including fractures, joint dislocations, sprains, strains, and serious bruises
- Endocrine diseases such as diabetes
- Fever and infections, including meningitis, sepsis, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infection, pinkeye, pneumonia, strep throat, mononucleosis, upper respiratory infection, influenza, abscesses, and stomach flu
- Lung problems such as asthma and difficulty breathing
- Mental health conditions, including bipolar disorder, psychosis, anxiety, depression, and threats or attempts at suicide
- Poisonings, including accidental ingestions and drug overdoses
- Possible child abuse and neglect, including evaluation, initial treatment, evidence collection, and notification of appropriate agencies
- Symptoms such as severe abdominal pain, nausea, or diarrhea
- Injuries, including burns, eye injuries, major cuts, animal bites, dehydration, smoke inhalation, shock, and head injury
What Our Pediatric Emergency Rooms Offer to the Greater Las Vegas Area
Pediatric emergency medicine doctors, nurses, and other providers use techniques, procedures, and equipment specifically designed for children and teens. These include:
- Airway stabilization, including intubation and mechanical ventilation for breathing with child-sized equipment
- Diagnosing problems when a child may not be able to communicate the problem or cooperate
- Fracture, sprain, and strain treatments such as realigning broken bones, splinting, and casting
- Giving treatments, including blood transfusions, oxygen, tetanus shots, pain medications, antibiotics, corticosteroids, breathing treatments, and IV fluids using techniques unique for children and teens
- Laceration and wound repair, including stitches (suturing) and staples
- Mental health evaluation and treatment including crisis intervention, medication, and referrals
- Trauma treatment, including thoracotomy to treat chest trauma, chest tube insertion to treat collapsed lung, and spinal immobilization to stabilize possible spinal fractures
What to Expect from an Emergency Room for Children
If your child has an emergency, call 911 for the most rapid emergency care and transportation to the hospital. Your family will receive care from a pediatric emergency medicine doctor when you arrive. You can also Find a Doctor for follow up care at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican after the emergency situation has passed.
Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican hospitals offers expert care for children and teens in our children's emergency room in Henderson, NV.
ERAdvisor is a new service that updates patients and families on their phones about their progress in the emergency department. All patients need to do is provide a cell phone number to hospital ER registration staff to get started.