A tub filled with warm water can help to ease the labor process. St. Elizabeth was the first hospital in California to offer a water tub and is currently established as one of the only water tub labor centers in the North State.
Possible Benefits For Mom:
- Warm water is soothing, comforting, relaxing.
- In the later stages of labor, the water has been shown to increase the woman’s energy.
- The effect of buoyancy lessens a mother’s body weight, allowing free movement and new positioning.
- Buoyancy promotes more efficient uterine contractions and improved blood circulation resulting in better oxygenation of the uterine muscles, less pain for the mother, and more oxygen for the baby.
- Immersion in water often helps lower high blood pressure caused by anxiety. The water seems to reduce stress-related hormones, allowing the mother’s body to produce endorphins which serve as pain-inhibitors.
- As you relax physically, you're able to relax mentally with greater ability to focus on the birth process.
- Since the water provides a greater sense of privacy, it can reduce inhibitions, anxiety, and fears.
Possible Benefits For Baby:
- Provides an environment similar to the amniotic sac.
- Eases the stress of the birth thus increasing reassurance and sense of security.
The water tub is not available to all expecting mothers. Discuss this option with your doctor and together, you will determine if it's right for you.
Learn More About The Water Tub At St. Elizabeth Community Hospital
For more information, please call (530) 529-8000. For a physician referral, call (888) 628-1948 or use our search tool to Find a Doctor.