Depressive symptoms are very common. Getting help can jumpstart you on the road to feeling better. Below you will find resources and referral information for those experiencing symptoms of depression. In addition to reviewing these materials, you should talk to your doctor about whether you might be a good candidate for counseling (also sometimes called psychotherapy) and/or a medication evaluation.
- To access individual or family counseling using your health insurance benefits, call the “mental health benefits” number on your insurance card for referral to providers who accept your insurance. You can also access the website for your behavioral health insurance carrier to search for providers in your area and with the specialties you require.
- If you are covered by Medi-Cal and you live in Sacramento County, contact the Mental Health Access Team at (916) 875-1055 to access counseling or psychiatry services. The after-hours number is (888) 881-4881.
- Visit Sacramento County Mental Health Services
Waiting it Out…Coping While Your Medication Starts to Work
- This is a Mercy Medical Group publication containing tips and advice for patients who have recently started medication for a mental health condition and are waiting to experience therapeutic effects.
- View a copy of this publication
211 Sacramento Mental Health Resources
- This website offers local resources and support groups for those facing depression, as well as local resources for help with coping with the loss of a loved one.
- Visit 211 Sacramento Mental Health
- (800) 500-4931
TLCS Mental Health Crisis Respite Center
- Privately sponsored site offers resources and support to those facing various mental health conditions.
- Visit PsychCentral
Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
National Alliance on Mental Illness
National Institute of Mental Health
- This government-sponsored website aims to “transform the understanding and treatment of mental illnesses.” Good source of information about depression and other mental health problems, research developments, clinical trials and treatment information. Specialized pages on older adults, Alzheimer’s Disease, men and depression, etc.
- Visit National Institute of Mental Health
Sacramento Area Free Support Groups
Bereavement Resource Directory