Infectious disease specialists treat a wide range of infectious and immunologic diseases such as those caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites.
An infectious disease specialist may provide consultation for diseases that are complicated or atypical, including:
- Recurrent infections, severe infections and ones resistant to treatment
- Respiratory infections
- Bone and joint infections
- Tuberculosis (TB)
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
- Hepatitis (along with our Gastroenterology physicians)
- Valley fever
- Advice regarding prevention and vaccinations for those traveling to foreign countries
Infectious disease practitioners have a specialized knowledge regarding the use of antibiotics and their potential adverse effects. They also have additional training in immunology (how the body fights infection), epidemiology (how infections spread) and infection control.
Our infectious disease specialist reviews a patient's medical data, including records, X-rays and laboratory reports. He may perform a physical examination, depending on the type of problem. Laboratory studies are often necessary and may include blood studies and cultures of wounds or body fluids.
Mercy Medical Group’s infectious disease specialist sees patients at our Midtown (Sacramento) location.