Gynecology procedures and treatments
Overview of gynecology procedures and treatments
From maintaining reproductive health to cancer screening and prevention, routine gynecological care is important for your overall health. Obstetricians and gynecologists (OB/GYNs) use a variety of procedures and treatments to help maintain the health of the female reproductive tract. OB/GYNs perform procedures and treatments in medical clinics, surgery centers, and hospital operating rooms.
Whether you need a routine pelvic exam or treatment for a gynecological condition, our doctors at Dignity Health offer personalized care. Find an OB/GYN near you to get started.
Gynecological conditions can cause various symptoms, or none. Some of the most common are:
- Irregular menstrual bleeding, including excessive bleeding (requiring a changed tampon or pad more than every two hours), bleeding between periods, and abnormal discharge during a menstrual cycle
- Frequent or urgent urge to urinate, or pain or burning with urination
- Pain or aches in the lower back
- Bleeding after menopause (after going more than one year without a period)
- Pain in the pelvis or lower abdomen that is very severe or differs from normal menstrual cramps
- Itching, burning, pain, soreness, discoloration, or redness in the genital area
- Sores or lumps in or around the genitals
- Increased discharge or abnormal discharge
- Very strong or unusual vaginal odor
- Symptoms of hormonal imbalance such as acne, weight gain, unusual or excessive hair growth, or mood changes
- Loss of sexual desire or sexual dysfunction
- Miscarriage and other issues related to pregnancy
Many of these symptoms can be mistaken for normal menstrual cramps or signs of menopause. If you experience significant discomfort related to your menstrual cycle or notice unusual symptoms, please speak with your doctor to rule out more serious conditions.
After undergoing a consultation and exam with your OB/GYN, your doctor may recommend a procedure or surgical treatment. Common conditions include:
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Bladder issues
- Urinary incontinence
- Cervical dysplasia
- Genital warts
- Hormone disorders
- Human papillomavirus (HPV)
- Sexually transmitted infections/diseases (STIs/STDs)
- Interstitial cystitis
- Yeast infections
- Ovarian cysts
- Ovarian tumors
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Pelvic pain
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Prolapsed uterus
- Toxic shock syndrome
- Uterine fibroids
- Uterine polyps
From short noninvasive procedures to more comprehensive surgical options, Dignity Health OB/GYNs have you covered.
Dignity Health’s team of OB/GYNs delivers quality care with respect and compassion. We offer comprehensive women’s services to take you all the way from adolescence through your golden years. These include:
- Annual pelvic exam
- Cancer screening
- Preventive medical services, such as healthy lifestyle advice
- Family planning advice and treatments
- Pregnancy care
- Urinary care
- Identifying the onset of menopause and easing menopausal symptoms
- Treating thyroid and other hormone disorders
Receiving regular gynecological checkups is important for your health, and is the most important thing you can do to prevent gynecological issues.
Even if you do not have any reproductive symptoms, keep up with your appointments.
The information contained in this article is meant for educational purposes only and should not replace advice from your healthcare provider.