Treatment for MS is tailored to your unique symptoms and may include:
- Medications, including oral, injected, or infused drugs that work on the immune system to reduce inflammation associated with multiple sclerosis (some of these medications, called disease-modifying drugs, may disrupt the course of the disease and provide long-term symptom relief)
- Medications to treat related conditions, including bladder dysfunction, pain, fatigue, or emotional changes
- Cognitive therapy with a neuropsychologist to improve problem-solving and reasoning skills
- Physical therapy to maintain muscle tone and function
- Occupational therapy to improve abilities such as swallowing and performing everyday activities while minimizing fatigue
- Speech therapy
- Assistive devices, including canes, walkers, or wheelchairs
- Social support to promote independence and a high quality of life
At Dignity Health, treatment strategies focus on slowing the progression of the disease, restoring physical function, and providing other types of support. MS treatment requires comprehensive care from our coordinated health care team.
There is no known cure for MS. Your doctor and care team at Dignity Health will personalize your MS treatment plan to your unique needs. Because each person experiences MS differently, your doctor will work with you to design a plan that addresses your current symptoms and problems that may develop in the future.
MS requires comprehensive care from our diverse team of specialists:
- Neurologists who specialize in treating MS
- Neuropsychologists who address common cognitive issues in MS
- Physical and occupational therapists to help with pain, muscle weakness, and other symptoms
- Mental health providers and other health care professionals
MS treatment options include medications, physical and occupational rehabilitation, and treatment of mood and cognitive issues. Before beginning medication therapy, your doctor will explain the goals and potential risks of the particular medication and how to minimize risks and manage side effects. Sticking to your multiple sclerosis treatment plan is crucial for avoiding an MS attack or flare-up (a sudden worsening of symptoms).
If you need financial assistance to afford your MS medication, contact the pharmaceutical company and ask if it offers a patient-assistance program. Also discuss your financial concerns with your doctor and with local representatives of the National MS Society. By taking an active part in your treatment, you can help yourself achieve the highest possible quality of life with multiple sclerosis.
Our doctors at Dignity Health will care for your well-being while providing multiple sclerosis treatment in NV, CA, or AZ that are right for you.
Dignity Health provides high-quality multiple sclerosis treatment in Arizona, California, and Nevada, as part of our neurology services.