Treatment of yeast infection
Treatment and prevention options aim to restore a normal vaginal environment. If you experience uncomfortable symptoms but a doctor has never diagnosed you with a yeast infection, speak with your Dignity Health doctor. Many different types of vaginal infections have similar symptoms. An appropriate diagnosis is key to effective treatment.
How quickly a yeast infection will go away depends on its severity. With appropriate treatment, most yeast infections clear up in a few days. The most common treatment options include:
- Over-the-counter creams and suppositories: Many antifungal treatments are available over-the-counter, including one-dose treatments, three- and five-day regimens, and week-long treatments. Ask your Dignity Health provider about recommended treatment and use the product as directed.
- Prescription creams or suppositories: Antifungal vaginal medications are also available by prescription. In some cases, prescription medication is cheaper than over-the-counter medication.
- Oral medications: A single prescription pill is sometimes enough to treat a yeast infection. Your doctor may prescribe multiple doses over a period of days or weeks to treat severe or recurring yeast infections.
Other strategies to treat and prevent yeast infection include:
- Wear cotton underwear.
- Avoid tight-fitting pants and undergarments.
- Change out of wet clothing as soon as possible.
- Avoid or reduce antibiotic use, when possible.
Dignity Health provides quality care for women experiencing yeast infections in Arizona, California, and Nevada.