Treatment of pelvic pain
Treatment for pelvic pain at Dignity Health depends first on the cause of the pain. Painful conditions connected to the uterus, such as fibroids and endometriosis, are treated much differently than pain connected to the digestive system, such as IBS. Other factors that influence treatment are your overall health, age, lifestyle, and medical history. Your treatment options may include:
- Lifestyle changes. Improving overall health by making changes to your physical activity and diet may improve pelvic pain.
- Medication. Medications that may be used to treat pelvic pain include antibiotics, muscle relaxants, antidepressants, pain medication, and hormone treatments.
- Physical therapy. Physical therapists use techniques such as massage and strengthening exercises to improve pelvic pain.
- Counseling. Living with pain is a challenge. One-on-one or group counseling sessions help you cope with chronic pelvic pain.
- Surgery. Doctors often use surgery to treat pelvic pain caused by endometriosis, uterine fibroids, and adhesions.
Through personalized diagnosis and treatment, Dignity Health is committed to helping women find relief from pelvic pain in Arizona, California, and Nevada.