Gynecology is a medical specialty that centers on the health needs of adolescent and adult women. Primary care doctors, family doctors, and internists may all offer gynecologic care, but gynecologists are specialists in the field.
Gynecologists have advanced training in the medical and surgical care of the female reproductive system. Most also provide care for pregnant women and their unborn children. This is the practice of obstetrics. These doctors often go by the name obstetrician/gynecologist or OB/GYN.
Our skilled gynecologists at Dignity Health provide personalized gynecology services in AZ, CA, and NV with your total well-being in mind . Find a Doctor near you today for exceptional care.
Offered by our experts, subspecialties of gynecology include:
- Reproductive endocrinology and infertility focuses on reproductive hormones and their effect on fertility. Doctors with this subspecialty also treat women with hormone disorders unrelated to fertility.
- Gynecologic oncology focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of women with gynecologic cancer including uterine, cervical, and ovarian cancer.
- Female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery (also known as urogynecology) focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of pelvic disorders, such as chronic pain, problems with bladder control, and painful bladder syndrome. This new subspecialty was recognized in 2011.
Conditions treated by Gynecologists at Dignity Health
Gynecologists treat women’s general health issues and conditions of the female reproductive system, including:
- Sexual health, including menopause, STDs (sexually transmitted diseases), sexual dysfunction, and sexual assault and violence against women
- Infections, including yeast infection and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
- Breast health, including breast cancer and fibrocystic breast disease
- Preconception health, including pregnancy planning, infertility, and genetic counseling
Gynecology services we offer
You can receive the following services by a caring gynecologist at Dignity Health:
- General health procedures, including physical examination, immunization, and nutrition and weight counseling
- Chronic disease management of diabetes, thyroid disease, depression, and other conditions
- Family planning, including oral contraceptives, hormone patches and shots, cervical caps, IUDs (intrauterine devices), and tubal ligation
- Hormone treatments such as hormone replacement therapy for menopause symptoms or after a hysterectomy
- Pelvic procedures, including pelvic exams, ovary removal, cervical exam, and pelvic organ suspension
- Uterine procedures such as hysterectomy, dilation and curettage (D and C), fibroid embolization, and endometrial ablation
- Breast procedures, including breast exams and breast cyst aspiration
- Cancer screening, including mammogram, Pap smear, and biopsy of the breast, cervix, and other reproductive organs
Dignity Health provides reliable gynecology services in Arizona, California, and Nevada.