Find Help for Prolapsed Uterus
Prolapsed uterus is when the uterus (womb) slips into the vagina. It can interfere with vaginal sex, cause discomfort, and create urination issues. Prolapsed uterus can be embarrassing but is treatable.
Find a Doctor at Dignity Health with expertise in treating prolapsed uterus. We offer comprehensive women’s services at our four Bay Area hospitals and can treat your conditions with personal care.
What Causes Prolapsed Uterus?
A prolapsed uterus occurs when the ligaments and muscles of the pelvis that support the uterus weaken. It is most common in women who have experienced vaginal birth. However, prolapsed uterus can also occur in women who have never given birth.
Common causes of prolapsed uterus include:
- Being obese
- Delivery of a large baby
- Instrument-assisted delivery, such as vacuum- or forceps-assisted birth
- Long-term constipation, which puts excess stress on the pelvic muscles
- Menopause, which is associated with weakening of pelvic muscles due to loss of estrogen
Common Prolapsed Uterus Symptoms
Signs of prolapsed uterus include:
- Difficulty passing a bowel movement
- Feeling like your internal organs are “falling out”
- Heaviness or pressure in the vagina or pelvic region
- Low backache
- Problems with sexual intercourse
- Urine leakage, pain with urination, or difficulty urinating
- Visible tissue bulging from your vagina
Prolapsed Uterus Treatment at Dignity Health
If your prolapsed uterus is mild and not causing discomfort, treatment may not be necessary. Avoiding heavy lifting or straining, weight gain, and constipation can help prevent worsening of your uterine prolapse. Your doctor may recommend Kegel exercises to strengthen your pelvic muscles.
Treatment options for prolapsed uterus are vaginal pessary, a small device inserted into the vagina that supports the uterus, and surgery to repair the structures that support the uterus or remove the uterus (hysterectomy).
Make an appointment with one of our trusted OB/GYNs today to determine which treatment is right for you.Dignity Health provides compassionate care for prolapsed uterus in in the Bay Area, including San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and Redwood City.