Pregnancy is a time of great change. The Dignity Health team is here to provide support, guidance, and specialized medical care during this time of transition and excitement.
At Dignity Health, our team of medical professionals are experts in obstetrical care and are dedicated to providing the highest quality pregnancy care in the Bay Area. We offer free tours of our birth center at Dominican Hospital in Santa Cruz and birth center orientation classes at Sequoia Hospital in Redwood City. To find a doctor that’s right for you, use our online Find a Doctor search tool.
The most widely recognized sign of pregnancy is a missed period. Other common signs and symptoms of pregnancy include:
- Morning sickness
- Mood swings
- Positive at-home pregnancy test
Prenatal Screenings & Tests
Once your health care provider has confirmed your pregnancy, he or she will carefully monitor your health and your baby’s health throughout the duration of your pregnancy. There are many screening and diagnostic tests available.
Pregnancy Services at Dignity Health
At our birth centers, we know that every pregnancy is different. Some women may need additional care and services. Common pregnancy services include:
- Childbirth classes teach couples techniques to cope with labor and birth.
- Breastfeeding services, such as breastfeeding classes and lactation consultants, offer support to breastfeeding families.
If you are interested in additional pregnancy services, talk to your health care team. They will give you a comprehensive list of options available to you.
A health problem that occurs during pregnancy is called a pregnancy complication and can include:
- Ectopic pregnancy: when a fertilized egg implants somewhere other than the uterus
- Vaginal bleeding in pregnancy: a common pregnancy complication which can sometimes be the sign of a serious problem
- Preeclampsia: a temporary elevation in maternal blood pressure during pregnancy
- High-risk pregnancy: a pregnancy with increased risk for medical complications
- Gestational diabetes: high blood sugar levels that could potentially harm the mother and newborn
- Placenta previa: a condition in which the placenta covers all or part of the mother’s cervix
Committing to comprehensive prenatal care during pregnancy greatly improves your chances of a healthy pregnancy and birth. Your childbirth team at Dignity Health will help you understand the options available to you and make recommendations specific to your needs, including admission to our Level II and Level III NICUs. Our priority is you and your baby’s health.
Dignity Health offers pregnancy care in the Bay Area, including Santa Cruz and Redwood City.