Maternal fetal medicine (MFM) is the branch of medicine that cares for women with high-risk pregnancies. Maternal fetal medicine doctors treat both unborn babies and pregnant women.
Dealing with pregnancy complications? At Dignity Health, we personalize your care and provide maternal fetal medicine in the Bay Area. To see a MFM doctor associated with our birthing centers at Dominican Hospital in Santa Cruz and Sequoia Hospital in Redwood City, use our online tool to Find a Doctor today.
Working with Maternal Fetal Medicine
A maternal fetal medicine doctor is an OB/GYN who has special training in the care and management of high-risk pregnancies. These specialists take care of:
- Pregnant women who have underlying health conditions, such as diabetes or kidney disease
- Pregnant women who develop complications during pregnancy, such as preeclampsia or gestational diabetes
- Unborn babies who have been diagnosed with a health condition or birth defect
Your doctor may refer you to a maternal fetal medicine specialist if:
- You have a history of miscarriage or preterm birth.
- You are pregnant with more than one baby (multiple gestations).
- Prenatal testing indicates your baby might have a problem.
- You have a chronic medical condition.
OB/GYN doctors, certified nurse midwives, and MFM specialists at Dignity Health collaborate and share information to ensure that you and your baby get the best possible care.
Maternal Fetal Medicine: What to Expect
When you come to our experts for high-risk pregnancy care, your maternal-fetal medicine specialist will review any test results you may have and ask you questions about your health and pregnancy. Maternal fetal medicine specialists may also:
- Manage underlying health conditions and adjust prescription medication
- Order or conduct prenatal testing, including amniocentesis, chorionic villus sampling, and level 2 ultrasounds
- Perform or assist in prenatal surgeries to treat life-threatening birth defects
- Attend births and help deliver high-risk pregnancies
- Provide postpartum medical care for mothers and their babies
Your Dignity Health maternal fetal medicine specialist will plan an individualized treatment strategy based on your unique needs and medical condition. They will also answer any questions you may have and explain all tests and procedures suggested for you. Your maternal fetal medicine specialist may also be able to connect you with other women and families dealing with similar challenges. Trust us to provide the support you need — every step of the way. Dignity Health offers compassionate pregnancy care, including maternal fetal medicine, in Santa Cruz and Redwood City.