Gynecology focuses on the health needs of adolescent and adult women. Gynecologists have advanced training in the medical and surgical care of the female reproductive system. However, internists, family doctors, and primary care doctors may also deliver gynecologic care.
Obstetrics is closely related to gynecology and involves the care of pregnant women and their unborn babies. Doctors providing these services are called obstetrician/gynecologists, or OB/GYNs.
At Dignity Health, our OB/GYNs are committed to the health of women of all ages. You can expect care with humankindness and treatment that is customized to your unique needs.
Find a Doctor at Dignity Health who specializes in gynecology in the Bay Area. We offer personalized women’s services our hospitals and specialty centers:
Subspecialties of Obstetrics & Gynecology
At Dignity Health, our doctors also specialize in:
- Female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery (urogynecology) includes the diagnosis and treatment of pelvic disorders such as chronic pelvic pain and bladder problems.
- Gynecologic oncology focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of women with gynecologic cancer, including ovarian, cervical, uterine, and vaginal cancer.
Reproductive endocrinology and infertility involves reproductive hormones and fertility care. These doctors also treat women with hormone disorders
unrelated to fertility.
Conditions Treated by Gynecologists
Our trusted gynecologists treat conditions of the female reproductive system and women’s general health issues, including:
- Breast health, including fibrocystic breast disease and breast cancer
- Infections, including yeast infection, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), and urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Preconception health, including family planning, infertility, and genetic counseling
- Sexual health, including menopause, sexual dysfunction, STDs (sexually transmitted diseases), and sexual assault and violence against women
OB/GYN Services Provided in the Bay Area
Gynecologists at Dignity Health offer the following services:
- Breast procedures, including breast cyst aspiration and breast exams
- Cancer screening, including Pap smear, mammogram, and biopsy of the cervix, breast, and other reproductive organs
- Chronic disease management, including depression, diabetes, and thyroid disease
- Family planning, including hormone patches and shots, oral contraceptives, cervical caps, and IUDs (intrauterine devices)
- General health procedures, including physical examination, immunization, and weight and nutrition counseling
- Hormone treatments, including hormone replacement therapy for menopause symptoms or after a hysterectomy
- Pelvic procedures, including ovary removal, pelvic exams, cervical exam, and pelvic organ suspension
From family planning to menopause to cancer prevention, trust Dignity Health to look out for your complete well-being through our trusted gynecological care in the Bay Area. Dignity Health provides personalized and compassionate gynecology services in San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and Redwood City.