High-Quality Fibroid Removal
Uterine fibroids are growths on the wall of the uterus. They are usually noncancerous (benign) but can cause uncomfortable symptoms.
If you’re living with fibroids, Find a Doctor at Dignity Health who can help you understand your options for fibroid removal in the Bay Area. Our women’s services experts provide personalized, convenient, and efficient service with state-of-the-art technology our hospitals and women’s health centers throughout the area.
Symptoms of Fibroids
Uterine fibroids can cause bothersome and uncomfortable symptoms, including:
- Frequent urination
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Pain, including pain during sex
Fibroid removal can improve quality of life by relieving symptoms. Doctors commonly remove fibroids that cause:
- Bleeding between periods
- Heavy menstrual bleeding that interferes with activity
- Significant pain
What to Expect During Fibroid Surgery at Dignity Health
The most common methods of fibroid removal used by Dignity Health include:
- Endometrial ablation removes fibroids by destroying the lining of the uterus with microwave energy, lasers, extreme cold, or electricity. It’s considered of minor surgery, but may be performed in the doctor’s exam room.
- Hysterectomy is the surgical removal of the entire uterus. A woman can’t have children after a hysterectomy. Techniques include laparoscopic hysterectomy (via a few tiny incisions in the belly), abdominal hysterectomy (via an incision in the belly), and vaginal hysterectomy (via small incisions in the vagina). This surgery is always performed in an operating room.
- MRI-guided ultrasound surgery uses sound waves waves to destroy fibroids.
- Myomectomy is surgical removal of fibroids. Your surgeon removes the fibroids through an incision in the abdomen or through the vagina. Myomectomy is performed in an operating room. You will go home the same day or spend a few days in the hospital, depending on the extent of the procedure.
- Myolysis delivers extreme cold or electric current to fibroids through a needle, destroying them. Ultrasound guidance or a camera is used to locate the fibroids and place the needle.
- Uterine fibroid embolization shrinks fibroids by blocking blood flow to them.
If you decide to have fibroid removal at Dignity Health, your doctor will tell you about the benefits and risks of each option. The procedure that’s right for you will depend on whether or not you wish to have children in the future, the size and number of fibroids, your age, and your overall health. Rely on our women’s health specialists to help you make a decision that is best for your overall well-being.Dignity Health provides a variety of options for fibroid removal in the Bay Area, including San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and Redwood City.