Uterine cancer starts in your uterus and is the most common gynecological cancer in the U.S. Over 80 percent of uterine cancers begin in the lining of the uterus, or endometrium.
At Dignity Health, our oncologists are dedicated to helping you prevent and fight cancer. To meet with an expert about uterine cancer in the Bay Area, use our search tool and Find a Doctor.
Uterine Cancer Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of uterine cancer can include:
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding — including changes in menstrual periods, spotting between periods, and bleeding after menopause
- Difficulty urinating or pain during urination
- Pelvic pain
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Abnormal vaginal discharge
These symptoms are often related to other noncancerous conditions.
Uterine Cancer Causes
Researchers don’t know the causes of uterine cancer, however, certain factors can increase your risk of developing it. These include:
- Taking estrogen without progesterone
- Being age 50 or older
- Personal history of breast, ovarian, or colon (colorectal) cancer
- Early menstruation (younger than 12) or late menopause (older than 55)
- Personal history of endometrial hyperplasia or diabetes
- Radiation therapy to the pelvic area
- Family history of endometrial (uterine) or colorectal cancer
- Tamoxifen use (for breast cancer)
- Caucasian race
- Diet high in animal fat
Uterine Cancer Treatment at Dignity Health
Treatment for uterine cancer depends on the stage. Dignity Health doctors use surgery to remove cancerous tissue or reproductive organs. Our surgeons rely on advanced technology to remove tumors.
Radiation therapy or chemotherapy may be used after surgery to eliminate any remaining cancer cells. Your doctor might recommend hormone or biologic therapy for an advanced stage of uterine cancer.
Find a Doctor to discuss your options for treating uterine cancer in the Bay Area.
Dignity Health hospitals in the Bay Area offer the latest testing and treatment for all stages of uterine cancer in San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and Redwood City.