Skip to Main Content
1440_405-1116_628-768_432

History

 

Mission to serve since 1912

Dignity Health - St. John’s Hospitals have delivered on a mission to serve Ventura County for 110 years. It all began when Rev. John Laubacher invited the Sisters of Mercy to establish a hospital in the newly incorporated city of Oxnard, California. Thanks to that single invitation and a generous land donation by Johannes Borchard–a longtime farmer who sponsored many families who migrated to the area–the first St. John’s Hospital opened its doors on June 14, 1912.

What started as a humble, six-room, 12-bed hospital seamlessly evolved with its community. In no time, it outgrew its brick and mortar more than once. However, with every move and upgrade, one thing remained the same, a commitment to the health and well-being of the community. 

True to its faith-based mission, St. John’s Hospitals have been at the forefront of improving the health of the people they serve, especially those who are vulnerable. From its inception, two of the 12 beds at St. John’s Hospital were dedicated to caring for the underserved. That legacy has evolved into programs designed to address community health needs, a food pantry, financial assistance, and community grants throughout the years. 

Today, St. John’s has evolved into St. John’s Regional Medical Center (SJRMC) in Oxnard and St. John’s Hospital Camarillo (SJHC) in Camarillo. Driven by a team of expert caregivers, St. John’s Hospitals continue to advance health care through investments in state-of-the-art technology, the development of innovative programs, and the commitment of its people. 

As St. John’s Hospitals celebrate more than a century of healing, both hospitals continue the legacy of the Sisters of Mercy by expanding with their growing communities and answering the call when the community needs them most.