Nothing turns a person’s life upside down quite like the diagnosis of cancer. That’s why, at Mercy Medical Group, we take a holistic approach to cancer treatment, caring for the whole person—physically, emotionally and spiritually.
Cancer Care Services
In partnership with Dignity Health Cancer Institute of Greater Sacramento, every member of our cancer care team works closely together—consulting and communicating every step of the way—to ensure you and your family receive the best possible treatment. We offer specialized treatment in all aspects of cancer care, including:
Our cancer specialists cover the full continuum of care—coordinating with one another along the way to ensure patients receive seamless support along their journey. Our board-certified team consists of:
- Diagnostic and imaging specialists: Mercy Imaging Centers’ doctors work alongside our cancer care team to help prevent or diagnose cancer at its earliest stage possible.
- Medical oncologists: These are the doctors who coordinate and oversee a patient’s medical care from initial diagnosis throughout the course of the disease and also into remission. They specialize in use of medications, such as chemotherapy, hormones and targeted therapies.
- Radiation oncologists: These specialists use ionizing radiation in the treatment of cancer. Radiation can be given as a curative technique, either alone or in combination with surgery and/or chemotherapy.
- Oncology surgeons: These are doctors who focus on the surgical management of tumors, including thoracic surgeons, urologists, general surgeons, among others.
- Nurse navigators: Specialized cancer care nurses who help guide patients through the treatment process.
Hematologists specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and disorders of the blood. Oncologists specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of cancers or tumors. Services provided by Mercy Medical Group’s hematology/oncology team include:
- Diagnosis and treatment of cancer
- Infusion services for chemotherapy, immunotherapy and biological therapy
- Evaluation and treatment blood disorders
- Patient support groups
- Nurse navigator and patient education services
- Genetic counseling
New 3D imaging techniques, coupled with sophisticated planning software, have allowed radiation oncologists to localize and treat even small tumors with unprecedented accuracy. At the Mercy Cancer Center, three uniquely qualified specialists―a medical physicist, a dosimetrist and a radiation oncologist―work together to determine the parameters for a course of radiation treatment.
While we all face some risk for cancer, patients with a family history of cancer may have genes that put them at greater risk. However, genetic testing is a technology that can provide not only peace of mind but also suggest strategies for prevention and early detection. In the case that cancer is already diagnosed or arises later, genetic testing can lead to more effective treatment.
The Importance of Mammograms
Dr. Joelle Jakobsen of Mercy Medical Group in Carmichael recently hosted a Facebook live section to discuss breast cancer detection, treatment, and beyond. Watch for yourself.
Hidden Scar® Breast Cancer Surgery
If you have breast cancer, you may qualify for Hidden Scar Breast Cancer Surgery based on the size and location of your tumor, your breast shape, and your breast size. Talk to your doctor to see if this procedure is right for you.
DigniCap® Scalp Cooling System
The DigniCap Scalp Cooling System reduces the likelihood of chemotherapy-induced hair loss in men and women with solid tumor cancers such as those associated with breast, prostate, ovarian, uterine, lung and other tissues.