Most cases of prostate cancer develop slowly in the prostate gland. At Dignity Health Bay Area hospitals, our doctors recommend treatment based on the stage of your disease and how likely it is to spread.
Regular screenings and checkups can help your doctor pinpoint abnormalities and detect signs and symptoms of prostate cancer early, when it’s easier to treat.
If you’d need prostate cancer treatment in the Bay Area, meet with an experienced oncologist at Dignity Health. For the personal care you deserve, Find a Doctor online.
Types of Treatment for Prostate Cancer
Dignity Health's Bay Area cancer centers offer some of the latest and most advanced cancer therapies and treatments in the region. This may include one or more of the following:
- Watchful waiting. Also called active surveillance, watchful waiting is often helpful for monitoring early stages of prostate cancer. Your doctor may use a prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test or biopsy to keep track of your condition.
- Surgery for prostate cancer removes the entire prostate gland and some of the surrounding tissue. Prostate cancer surgery is common for cancer that hasn’t spread beyond the prostate gland.
- Radiation therapy is an alternative treatment to surgery. Your doctor may recommend it if your tumor is confined to the prostate gland or if it has spread to other areas.
- Hormone therapy may be used to reduce the level of androgens, or hormones, in your body. This can help shrink the tumor or slow its growth.
- Chemotherapy (chemo) refers to drugs that kills cancer cells or slow their development. Your doctor may use chemo if the cancer has spread and hormone therapy isn’t working.
- Cryotherapy. Your doctor destroys cancer cells by freezing them. This therapy may be a good option if prostate cancer has returned after radiation therapy.
- Cancer vaccines are a form of immunotherapy which help boost your body’s immune system to better fight cancer.
Treatment for Prostate Cancer at Dignity Health
Your treatment options depend on the stage of the disease, along with your overall health and personal preferences. Together with your doctor, you can talk about the goals, benefits, and side effects of your care. To learn more about our comprehensive therapy and treatment, meet with an expert at one of our Dignity Health hospitals in the Bay Area today.
Dignity Health hospitals in the Bay Area provide quality treatment for prostate cancer in San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and Redwood City.