Congestive heart failure may cause a number of symptoms that can keep you from enjoying your favorite physical activities. Treatment can slow progression of the disease, reduce the effects of symptoms, and improve your quality of life.
Dignity Health doctors are skilled in traditional and cutting-edge treatments for many heart conditions, including congestive heart failure treatment, in the Bay Area. Find a Doctor today to learn more about your options for cardiovascular treatment.
Successful Treatment for Congestive Heart Failure
Your doctor will likely talk with you about lifestyle changes to treat congestive heart failure. It’s important to follow a low-sodium diet and control your fluid intake. Your Dignity Health doctor may set a limit for how many fluid ounces you are allowed to drink every day.
Your treatment plan also may include therapies to ease your symptoms of heart failure and reduce your heart’s workload.
The most commonly recommended treatments for congestive heart failure include:
- Lifestyle changes, including restricting fluid intake, eating a low-sodium diet, and quitting smoking
- Surgery or medication for underlying causes, including coronary artery disease, hypertension, or diabetes
- Home oxygen therapy
- Inhaled medicines to help you breathe better
- Drugs to reduce your heart’s workload
Evaluating Your Treatment Options
Your Dignity Health doctor will have a detailed conversation with you about your personal preferences for treatment before providing recommendations. Your treatment plan will depend on the severity of your disease, your overall health, and your age.
Many heart failure patients use a combination of treatments — such as lifestyle modifications with medication — to manage their condition.
How to Prevent Congestive Heart Failure
Not all instances of congestive heart failure are preventable. For example, your condition may be caused by heart valve disease that develops due to normal aging processes.
Regardless, you can minimize your risk of developing congestive heart failure by:
- Following a heart-healthy lifestyle that includes a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids and low in sodium
- Exercising regularly
- Maintaining a healthy weight, as obesity increases the strain on your heart
- Quitting smoking
- Avoiding excessive alcohol use
- Staying away from illicit drugs, which can damage your heart muscle
Want to know your risk level for developing a heart condition? Discuss your results with a Bay Area Dignity Health cardiologist.
Dignity Health provides advanced diagnostic procedures and treatment protocols, including congestive heart failure treatment, in San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and Redwood City.