Wound care includes a range of therapies for wounds that won’t heal. Some types of wound care, such as compression, are performed at home. Treatment for advanced wounds that won’t heal may be delivered at a Dignity Health hospital or wound care center. For example, hyperbaric oxygen therapy may be supervised by a team of doctors, nurses, and physical therapists.
Dignity Health is here to help, 24/7, providing wound care in the Bay Area with personal care. If you need to go to the ER, use our Online Waiting Room to select your estimated arrival time at one of our hospitals.
What Our Wound Care Specialists Treat
Some types of wounds heal over weeks or months. Others may never completely heal. Wounds that are typically resistant to healing include:
- Infected skin ulcers
- Pressure sores
- Severe lacerations or cuts
- Sores from radiation exposure
- Surgical wounds
- Trauma wounds
- Venous stasis ulcers, ankle or leg wounds caused by poorly functioning veins
You should seek prompt medical care if a wound occurs with the following symptoms:
- Fever or chills
- Redness, swelling, or pus
- Worsening pain
Wound Care Procedures at Dignity Health in the Bay Area
First aid is the first step in wound care. Your health care provider will work to stop any bleeding, clean the wound, and then try to close it, if possible. When a wound won’t heal, additional steps may be necessary, including:
- Artificial skin, which takes the place of your natural skin and covers the wound while it heals
- Compression, such as wearing compression stockings, to improve blood flow and promote healing
- Debridement, the removal of dead tissues to help healthy tissue begin healing
- Growth factor therapy to stimulate healing and cell growth
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy, which promotes healing by increasing the amount of oxygen your blood can carry
- Negative pressure therapy, which removes excess fluid and increases blood flow by creating a vacuum over the wound with a special dressing
- Ultrasound therapy to promote healing using sound waves
Reach out to Dignity Health hospitals in the Bay Area for trusted care for your wounds.
Dignity Health provides expert wound care services in the Bay Area, including San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and Redwood City.