Quality Joint Replacement
Joint surgery and replacement refer to a group of procedures used to evaluate and repair joint conditions and injuries. Dignity Health doctors in the Bay Area perform these surgeries to treat joint infections, chronic joint pain, and disability from arthritis, overuse, or traumatic injuries.
If you’d like to request a consultation about joint replacement in the Bay Area, call (866) 466-1401 for a referral or Find a Doctor online.
Why Joint Replacement is Performed
Your doctor may recommend joint surgery or replacement if:
- You have joint pain even at rest
- Other treatments, such as physical therapy, anti-inflammatory medicines, and steroid injections, haven’t been successful
- Your joint is damaged from trauma or arthritis
- Joint pain and stiffness limit your everyday life
- X-rays show severe joint damage or loss of bone and cartilage
Depending on your condition and symptoms, one of these joint surgeries may be helpful:
- Arthroscopy — minimally invasive joint surgery
- Joint fusion — joins two bones together permanently
- Joint resurfacing — a type of partial joint replacement
- Joint revision — replaces a damaged, diseased, or old artificial joint
- Total joint replacement — replaces a damaged or diseased joint with an artificial one
For more information about these and other procedures, visit one of Dignity Health's Bay Area locations near you:
- St. Mary’s Medical Center — San Francisco
- Saint Francis Memorial Hospital —San Francisco
- Dominican Hospital — Santa Cruz
- Sequoia Hospital — Redwood City
Your Joint Surgery at Dignity Health
An orthopedic surgeon performs joint surgery in a hospital setting or outpatient surgery center. The details of your procedure, such as length of time, number of incisions, and physical location, depend on whether you have open or minimally invasive surgery.
You may spend a few days in the hospital or be allowed to go home the same day of your surgery. You may be given a sedative for arthroscopy and general anesthesia for any other type of procedure. Your doctor will give you specific instructions on what to expect and how to prepare.
Joint Replacement Recovery
Depending on the extent of your procedure, your age, and overall health, you may stay in a rehabilitation center before going home. In most cases, physical therapy is part of your recovery process after joint surgery, especially after a replacement. Talk with your doctor about when it’s safe to return to your normal routine.
Dignity Health offers unparalleled services for physical therapy and rehabilitation at all four of our Bay Area hospitals.
Our goal is to help you achieve a better quality of life through world-class care and humankindness.
Orthopedic surgeons at Dignity Health Bay Area hospitals perform joint surgery and joint replacement in San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and Redwood City, CA.