Relieve Pain with Joint Resurfacing
Joint resurfacing is a form of partial joint replacement. During this procedure, a surgeon removes damaged pieces of your joint and replaces them with artificial materials. This saves healthy joint tissue and may result in a quicker recovery when compared with total joint replacement.
As the official health care provider of the San Francisco Giants, Dignity Health uses the latest surgical tools and technology to offer world-class care.
If your doctor has recommended joint resurfacing in the Bay Area, call (888) 981-7501 for a Dignity Health doctor referral or Find a Doctor online at a location near you:
- St. Mary’s Medical Center — San Francisco
- Saint Francis Memorial Hospital — San Francisco
- Dominican Hospital — Santa Cruz
- Sequoia Hospital — Redwood City
Why is Joint Resurfacing Performed
You might be a good candidate for joint resurfacing if you have chronic joint pain and discomfort in places like your hip, knee or shoulder. Specifically, this procedure can treat:
- Hip dysplasia, the wearing away of the hip joint due to abnormal development
- Inflammatory forms of arthritis, caused by the breakdown of bone and cartilage
- Osteoarthritis, caused by normal wear and tear on your joint
- Osteonecrosis, death of a bone
- Rotator cuff problems in your shoulder
- Traumatic arthritis, caused by a fracture or severe sprain or strain
Talk with your doctor to see if you’re a candidate for partial joint replacement surgery.
Your Joint Resurfacing at Dignity Health
Dignity Health’s orthopedic surgeons in the Bay Area perform joint resurfacing in a hospital or outpatient surgery clinic. This is major surgery so you’ll be given general anesthesia and won’t feel any pain. The length and extent of your procedure depends on your joint condition. Your doctor will provide detailed information about how to prepare and what to expect.
You may need to spend one to four days in the hospital, as well as time in a rehabilitation center before returning home. Physical therapy will help you regain mobility and joint strength. Your health care provider will tell you when it’s safe to return to your normal routine. A full recovery from partial joint replacement may take up to 12 weeks.Quality joint resurfacing in San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and Redwood City is performed at Dignity Health Bay Area hospitals.