Providing Treatment for Stroke
A stroke is a serious life event that requires emergency medical care and treatment to prevent loss of brain function. Treatment depends on whether a stroke is caused by bleeding in the brain or a blood clot.
Dignity Health neurologists offer comprehensive stroke care at hospitals in the Bay Area. If you or a loved one is experiencing a stroke, call 9-1-1 or visit your nearest emergency room.
Find a Doctor today for follow-up treatment after a stroke.
Complete Stroke Treatment at Dignity Health
A stroke can be life changing, and in many cases, can cause debilitating physical changes. However, fast diagnosis and treatment can help save brain and physical function. Dignity Health doctors rely on medication, surgery, and rehabilitation to treat strokes.
The type of stroke will guide treatment options:
- Treatment for ischemic stroke (caused by a blood clot) is often a clot-busting medication, minimally invasive surgery to remove the clot, or a combination of the two.
- Treatment for hemorrhagic stroke (caused by bleeding in the brain) is either open or minimally invasive surgery to stop the bleeding.
- Treatment for all other types of stroke may include rehabilitation, medications to treat underlying conditions that may cause stroke, and lifestyle changes to improve cardiovascular health
For any type of stroke, your doctor will explain the necessary medication or surgery to treat it. If you or a loved one has specific wishes or beliefs regarding medical intervention, tell your care team so they can treat you accordingly.
There are steps you can take to lower your risk of stroke:
- Control your blood sugar levels if you have diabetes.
- Don’t smoke. If you currently smoke, quit.
- Eat a heart-healthy diet and keep your cholesterol levels low.
- Exercise daily for at least 30 minutes.
- Treat any underlying medical conditions, such as high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
- Use protective gear when playing sports, riding a bike, or riding in a car to prevent traumatic head injury, as this can increase the risk of a stroke.
Talk to your Dignity Health doctor about partnering with you in preventing stroke in the Bay Area.
Dignity Health hospitals in the Bay Area offer state-of-the-art treatment for stroke.