Looking for a healthy salad recipe that doesn’t skimp on flavor? Our Mediterranean Chopped Salad combines roasted chickpeas, feta cheese, fresh vegetables and a bold za’atar vinaigrette for a medley of amazing flavors.
- 4 cups fresh arugula or romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup crumbled fat-free feta cheese
- 1/2 cup no salt added chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 Tbsp za'atar spice, divided
- 1 cup rainbow heirloom tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 medium English cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive brine
- 1/2 Tbsp ground sumac
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsalted sliced almonds, toasted
- Set an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small mixing bowl, toss the chickpeas with ½ tablespoon olive oil, ¼ tsp salt together and black pepper. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and spread into a single layer. Place on the center oven rack and roast until golden and crisp, about 15 to 20 minutes, until light golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Toss with another ½ Tbsp olive oil and ½ tablespoon of za’atar. Set aside.
- Toss together the tomatoes, red pepper, cucumber and olives in a large salad bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the olive brine, 3 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, sumac and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Lightly coat the vegetables with the dressing. Toss the vegetables with most of the feta and chickpeas. Add the arugula and toss to combine. Top with the remaining feta and chickpeas.
- Sprinkle each serving with toasted almonds and remaining za’atar. Drizzle with additional dressing if desired.
Serving size: 1 cup
Per Serving: Calories: 292 Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 17mg Sodium: 527mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 4g Protein: 7g
Copyright 2023 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Health eCooks™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: March 4, 2023
Editorial Review: Adam Fisher, Recipe & Content Manager, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Medical Review: Christina Wright, RD, LDN