Bladder cancer, or cancer of the urinary bladder, will affect roughly 77,000 Americans this year. Prevention strategies can help lower your risk of developing this type of cancer.
At Dignity Health Central California, our expert oncologists provide advice and compassionate care to help you stay healthy. We offer strategies and tips for bladder cancer prevention in Central California. Find a Doctor near you for personal care that meets your unique needs.
Bladder Cancer Risk Factors
Certain factors can increase your risk of bladder cancer. Smoking is the biggest risk factor, causing about half of bladder cancer cases in the US. Other risk factors include:
- Family history of bladder cancer
- Age older than 55
- Exposure to chemicals in plastics, rubber, dyes, and paints
- Not drinking enough fluids
- Prior pelvic radiation therapy or chemotherapy with cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan)
- Caucasian race
- Frequent or chronic urinary tract infections
- Genetics, including certain genetic conditions and gene mutations
- Male gender
How to Reduce Your Risk of Bladder Cancer
There is no certain way to prevent bladder cancer or detect it before symptoms develop. However, you can help lower your risk by managing or reducing your risk factors that are under your control, including:
- Drinking plenty of water to wash out the bladder
- Eating a healthy diet with lots of whole grains, fruits, and vegetables
- Stopping smoking or not smoking
- Limiting your exposure to workplace chemicals
It may not be possible to prevent all instances of bladder cancer. However, about half of all new cases are diagnosed in the early, more treatable stages of the disease. Regular visits with your Dignity Health Central California doctor and seeing them for changes in bladder function or urination can help with early detection. Reach out to an expert at your nearest location today.
The cancer care team at Dignity Health Central California can help you reduce your risk factors to prevent bladder cancer in Bakersfield, Merced, San Andreas, and Stockton, CA.