Dementia refers to a group of diseases that generally lead to reduced cognitive function. Some of the most common dementia conditions include Alzheimer’s disease, vascular dementia, and Lewy body dementia.
If you’re concerned about a loved one who may have early signs of memory loss or trouble thinking and performing daily activities, meet with an experienced doctor at Dignity Health Central California. Our neurologists can evaluate symptoms and perform diagnostic testing to determine the cause — offering personal care every step of the way. Find a Doctor to learn more about dementia symptoms in Central California.
Signs & Symptoms of Dementia
Dementia signs can vary depending on the type and stage of the disease. Typically, the most common symptoms of dementia include difficulty thinking and memory loss. Dementia may develop gradually, or may come on suddenly.
Generally, signs of dementia include:
- Memory loss that increases with time
- Inability to perform activities that require multiple steps, such as cooking
- Trouble focusing or concentrating, even for a short time
- Difficulty with solving problems, such as doing a word puzzle
- Sleep disturbances
- Repeating a single word or behavior over and over
- Struggling to find the right word while speaking or writing
- Personality changes
- Loss of impulse control
- Difficulty with performing daily tasks, such as bathing or dressing
If you or a loved one suspect any of these symptoms, meet with an experienced provider at a Dignity Health Central California location for a diagnosis.
Dementia Diagnosis at Dignity Health Central California
To evaluate dementia symptoms, our doctors typically review family medical history and perform a series of neurological examinations, designed to test problem-solving skills, memory, and other brain functions. In addition, our doctors perform comprehensive neuropsychology exams and may order diagnostic tests and labs, including:
- Blood work
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) brain scan
- Positron emission tomography (PET) scan
Once the test results are back, doctors can rule out other conditions that may cause similar symptoms. It may take some time to determine a specific diagnosis for dementia. For this reason, Dignity Health Central California doctors stay on the cutting edge of research and dementia treatment.
Dignity Health Central California offers neurological expertise to diagnose symptoms of dementia in Bakersfield, Merced, San Andreas, and Stockton, CA.