Cerebral palsy is a movement disorder caused by problems with brain development. Most cases of cerebral palsy are congenital, meaning a baby is born with the condition. But it can occur from brain damage after birth when the baby’s brain is still developing.
At Dignity Health Central California, our doctors work with patients to relieve symptoms of cerebral palsy, improve mobility, and promote functional independence. For cerebral palsy treatment in Central California, use our Find a Doctor tool to select an experienced neurologist closest to you. Infants, older children, and adults with cerebral palsy benefit from neurology care and cerebral palsy therapy provided by our professionals with humankindness.
Treatment Options at Dignity Health Central California
Cerebral palsy affects everyone differently. Some babies are born with mild symptoms and cognitive difficulties, but some babies grow into children and adults with severe learning, movement, and other disabilities.
Doctors do not have a cure for cerebral palsy, but we know that early intervention is key. From the time of diagnosis, your neurologist collaborates with other specialists to create a personalized cerebral palsy treatment plan to meet the patient’s individual needs and the family’s preferences.
The most effective treatments we offer include:
- Assistive devices, such as wheelchairs, braces, hearing and vision aids, and cerebral palsy occupational therapy help kids and adults be more independent.
- Physical therapy for cerebral palsy improves muscle tone and strength and helps relieve pain.
- Speech therapy is necessary for cerebral palsy because of speaking, eating, and swallowing difficulties.
- Medications treat discomfort, muscle spasms, and seizures associated with some cases of cerebral palsy.
- Surgical procedures are an option to release constricted muscles and correct bone deformities, which can improve body movement.
At Dignity Health Central California, we treat the whole patient. You will receive ongoing medical care for complications of cerebral palsy. Your care team will also include a dedicated social worker to help your family access specialized programs for children and adults with social, emotional, and learning disabilities.
Talk to your doctor for more information about other neurological conditions we treat at all of our hospitals serving Central California.
Dignity Health Central California neurologists work as a team with other providers to deliver high-quality cerebral palsy treatment in Bakersfield, and Stockton, CA.