State-of-the-Art Fibroid Removal in Central California
Uterine fibroids form on the wall of the uterus. These tumors are almost always noncancerous (benign). However, they can be bothersome and cause discomfort.
Dignity Health Central California doctors are trained in the latest techniques for the treatment of gynecological issues. Find a Doctor who performs fibroid removal in Central California with a philosophy of care, dignity, and respect. Our women’s services teams also offer maternity care and cardiology and oncology treatments specifically designed for the unique needs of a woman.
Symptoms of Uterine Fibroids
Uterine fibroids can cause:
- Frequent urination and bloating
- Discomfort during sex
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
Removing the fibroids can relieve these symptoms. Common reasons for fibroid removal include:
- Heavy menstrual bleeding that interferes with activity
- Bleeding between periods
- Significant pain
- Rapid growth of the fibroid
- Worsening symptoms
What to Expect During Fibroid Removal at Dignity Health Central California
The most common methods of fibroid removal at Dignity Health Central California include:
- Myomectomy. Surgical removal of fibroids can be performed through the vagina or incisions in the abdomen. It is performed in an operating room and may require a stay in the hospital.
- Hysterectomy. Complete surgical removal of the uterus and any attached fibroids is always performed in an operating room. Options include laparoscopic hysterectomy (via a few tiny incisions in the belly), abdominal hysterectomy (via an incision in the belly), and vaginal hysterectomy (via small incisions in the vagina). After a hysterectomy, a woman can no longer get pregnant.
- Myolysis. Fibroids are destroyed using a needle and extreme cold or electric current. Ultrasound or camera guidance is used to help insert needles into the fibroids. This procedure can sometimes be performed in a doctor’s exam room.
- Endometrial ablation. Microwave energy, lasers, extreme cold, or electricity is used to destroy the lining of the uterus. Endometrial ablation is minor surgery and may be performed in the doctor’s exam room.
- MRI-guided ultrasound surgery. Ultrasound waves are used to destroy fibroids.
- Uterine fibroid embolization. Blocking blood flow to fibroids causes them to shrink. This procedure may be performed in your doctor’s exam room or a hospital.
Each procedure has benefits and risks. You and your doctor will determine which procedure is right for you based on the number and size of your fibroids, your age, overall health, and your reproductive goals for the future. The type of procedure used to remove your fibroids determines your recovery period. Most women need a few weeks to fully recover.
We want you to feel as comfortable as possible with your fibroid removal. Rely on your doctor to answer all of your questions and provide personal care with humankindness.
Dignity Health Central California offers a range of high-quality options for fibroid removal in Bakersfield, Merced, San Andreas, and Stockton, CA.