A woman’s body produces special hormones that help control how tissues and organs work. When there is too little or too much of a hormone in the body, it can create problems.
Female hormones are unique and vital for growth and development, fertility and reproduction, sexual function, mood and emotions, and the process by which nutrients are broken down and absorbed by the body.
Dignity Health Central California doctors offer compassionate and personalized care to help women of all ages treat and manage a variety of hormonal imbalances and changes. If you’d like to meet with a health care provider about a hormonal disorder in Central California, use our online search tool and Find a Doctor near you.
Types of Hormonal Disorders & Symptoms
Some of the most common female hormone disorders are:
- Thyroid disease, including hyperthyroidism (too much thyroid hormone) and hypothyroidism (too little hormone)
- Ovarian insufficiency, or premature ovarian failure, which is when the ovaries stop functioning before the age of 40
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), which causes fertility problems, weight gain, ovarian cysts, and irregular periods
- Hirsutism, the growth of more hair than usual in certain areas
The symptoms of these and other conditions vary, but may include:
- Changes in sex drive
- Hot flashes
- Absent or irregular periods
- Weight loss or gain
- Excessive hair growth on the abdomen, back, chest, or face
If you’re not sure about your symptoms, speak with a provider at Dignity Health Central California.
Causes of Female Hormone Disorders
Hormone disorders in women have a range of causes that all result in fluctuating hormone levels in the body. Causes include:
- The natural process of aging (especially during and after menopause)
- Tumors on the adrenal glands or ovaries
- Genetics (hereditary gene mutations)
Treatment for Hormonal Disorders at Dignity Health Central California
Depending on your specific hormonal concern and your age and reproductive goals, your doctor can offer several treatment options, including:
- Lifestyle changes such as diet, weight loss, and exercise
- Fertility treatment
- Medication such as birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy
- Surgery, in cases of a tumor
Your doctor at Dignity Health Central California can explain each treatment in detail to help you know what to expect. Together, you can create a strategy that meets the goals of your care. The right treatment can reduce symptoms of hormone disorders and improve your overall quality of life.
Dignity Health Central California women’s health doctors offer personal care for hormone disorders in Bakersfield, Merced, San Andreas, and Stockton, CA.