Preparing for Your Colonoscopy
Miralax/Gatorade Colonoscopy Prep
Bowel cleanout is done at home prior to your colonoscopy. This will be a combination of a clear liquid diet and an oral laxative called Miralax which can be purchased at your pharmacy. See your colorectal surgeon for a prescription.
You will also be instructed to purchase 64 oz of Gatorade or sports drink – only light colored NO RED or BLUE – and 3 Dulcolax tablets (no prescription needed).
5 Days Prior to the Colonoscopy: Don’t take any iron pills, anti-inflammatory drugs or blood thinners such as Motrin, Ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn, Aleve, and Aspirin higher than 81 mg. Tylenol is okay.
***If you are on a blood thinner such as Coumadin (Warfarin), Pradaxa, Xeralto, or Plavix you must stop 5 days before the procedure. Please make sure your prescribing doctor is aware!
**Patients who take Diabetic agents such as insulin or oral diabetic pills DO NOT take evening doses the night before your colonoscopy or the morning of the colonoscopy. You will not be eating or drinking after midnight. Please continue to check your blood sugar and if you have a critical reading treat yourself as you normally would. Call your doctor if you have any questions.
One Day Prior to the Colonoscopy:
- Clear liquid diet only (from the time you wake up until procedure)
- At 3 pm: take 3 Dulcolax tablets
- At 5 pm: Mix the whole bottle of Miralax into 64 oz of Gatorade. Shake well. Drink 8 oz glass every 10-15 minutes until gone. You may still have clear liquids until bedtime.
Nothing to Eat or Drink after Midnight and the Morning of the Procedure!
**If you are on Blood Pressure medication and/or Heart Medications please take them the morning of surgery with a small sip of water.
What is considered a clear liquid?
- Soups: Clear broths, bouillon
- Beverages: Tea, Coffee (no cream or milk added), Kool-Aid, carbonated drinks, Gatorade
- Juices: Apple, Cranberry, Orange (no pulp), Grape
- Desserts/Treats: Jell-O, Ice Popsicles, Water ices
For More Information
The Colorectal Surgery program is located at St. Joseph’s Westgate Medical Center. We are in the Medical Office Building next to the hospital, north of Glendale on 99th Avenue.
For more information or to make an appointment, call (623) 423-0822.
St. Joseph’s Westgate Medical Center
7300 N. 99th Avenue
Glendale, AZ 85307