Vehicle accidents are a major cause of physical injury and death for Americans. Motor vehicle accidents are responsible for nearly one in 10 injury-related visits to the emergency room. Many of these injuries involve bruises, spinal injuries, and neck and back sprains and strains.
Dignity Health emergency teams are equipped and highly-trained to care for you after a car accident.
Symptoms of Car Accident Injuries
Common car accident injuries, in order of frequency, include:
- Bruises (contusions), with unbroken skin
- Fractures to the ribs, arms, legs, and pelvis
- Open lacerations
- Other strains and sprains
- Spinal injuries
- Strains and sprains of the back and neck
Car accident injuries can cause a variety of symptoms, including:
- Back pain
- Bruising, pain, or swelling
- Stiffness or pain in the neck
- Symptoms related to spine injury, including headache and pain, numbness, or tingling in an shoulder, arm, leg, or buttock
Treatment & Prevention of Car Accident Injuries
Seven out of 10 car accident injuries require an imaging exam to diagnose the injury and determine a treatment plan.
Follow these tips to prevent or reduce your risk of car accident injuries:
- Keep your vehicle well maintained.
- Use a seat belt for every car trip. Seat belt use reduces the risk of car accident injuries and deaths by fifty percent.
- When alcohol or other drug use is involved, designate a sober driver.
- Keep your eyes and mind on the road by not texting or engaging in other activities may distract you.
- For children who are shorter than 57 inches or under the age of eight, always use the appropriate car seat or booster seat.
Dignity Health is dedicated to providing quick, compassionate care to all of our ER patients. To learn more about our services in the Bay Area, Find a Doctor today.
Dignity Health offers fast emergency care for car accident injuries in San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and Redwood City.