Spinal discs, ligaments, tendons, muscles, fluid, your spinal cord, and 33 vertebrae make up your spine. There are also four regions in your spine:
- Cervical (neck)
- Lumbar (low back)
- Sacral (pelvic area)
- Thoracic (middle and upper back)
Damage or injury can result in painful spine problems. At Dignity Health in the Bay Area, our goal is to decrease your pain while addressing its source — so you can get back to enjoying your life pain-free.
We treat many common spine conditions and injuries in the Bay Area, including:
For personalized treatment, Find a Doctor online and visit us for unparalleled orthopedic care at the following convenient locations:
Causes of Spine Conditions & Injuries
Spine problems can be caused by:
- Congenital spine conditions (present at birth)
- Degenerative joint disease
- Improper lifting
- Repetitive strenuous activities
Do I Have Spine Problem?
Generally, spine conditions and injuries cause back pain, which may limit or worsen with movement. Other signs and symptoms depend on which spinal nerves are affected.
Because your spinal cord carries nerve impulses throughout your body, spine conditions that affect your spinal cord can lead to wide range of symptoms, including:
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
- Loss of coordination, difficulty walking, or climbing stairs
- Pain, numbness, tingling, or weakness throughout your arms or legs
If you have back pain with nerve symptoms, see a doctor immediately. Some spinal conditions and injuries require urgent or emergency care for fast diagnosis and treatment.
Treatment & Prevent Spine Conditions & Injuries with Dignity Health
Your doctor at Dignity Health will offer you treatment options based on your specific spine condition or injury, medical history, and risk factors.
Common treatment options for spine conditions and injuries include:
Following this tips can help keep your back healthy:
- Maintain a healthy weight to reduce strain on your back.
- Maintain good posture. Avoid slouching and keep your head in line with your shoulders and hips.
- Strengthen your back muscles and your abs, which will also help with good posture.
- Use proper body mechanics while lifting. Lift with your legs keeping the item close to your body.
No matter your spine problem, trust Dignity Health in the Bay Area to provide personal care through every stage of your treatment. Call (844) 560-2508 to request a doctor referral today.
Dignity Health offers diagnosis and treatment services for all types of spine conditions and spinal injuries in the Bay Area, including San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and Redwood City.