Savor the goodness of our nutritious (and delicious) gluten-free banana waffles! These guilt-free waffles are a crispy and fluffy way to use your overripe bananas for a tasty breakfast or brunch option.
- 2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp no sodium baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature and beaten
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Create a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, applesauce, orange zest, vanilla extract and mashed bananas. Add the wet ingredients in the center of the well in the flour mixture; mix until just combined. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the waffle iron. Lightly spray the top and bottom of the waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon the batter onto the bottom half of the waffle iron, close the lid and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer the cooked waffle to the prepared baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve warm. If desired, serve with fresh fruit, maple syrup, nut butter or fruit preserves. Enjoy!
Serving size: 1 (4-inch) waffle
Per Serving: Calories: 153 Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 32mg Sodium: 169mg Carbohydrates: 33g Fiber: 2g Protein: 3g
Copyright 2023 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Health eCooks® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: April 23, 2023
Editorial Review: Adam Fisher, Recipe & Content Manager, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Medical Review: Christina Wright, RD, LDN