Accented with the deep flavors of coffee and chocolate, this sirloin tip beef stew is a hearty dinner for a winter night. The tender beef will taste like it was cooking all day, but it can be ready in about an hour.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs beef sirloin tip roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) peeled whole tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups beef broth (gluten-free if needed)
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 Tbsp strong brewed coffee
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- In a stockpot, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper. Add the beef to the pot and cook until browned on all sides. With a slotted spoon, remove the beef. Add the remaining tablespoon olive oil and heat until hot. Add the onion and sweet potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, puree tomatoes and their juices.
- Return the beef to the pot. Add the tomatoes and the broth. Bring the mixture to a boil. Add the carrots. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the meat and vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add the chocolate and brewed coffee, stirring until well blended. Add the thyme and parsley.
Serving size: About 1 cup
Per Serving: Calories: 331 Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 39mg Sodium: 650mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 4g Protein: 21g
Copyright 2021-2022 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: February 1, 2021