This delicious spinach and chickpea soup is an easy weeknight dinner. With spinach, chickpeas, and orzo, this quick soup is packed with nutrition and flavor.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup multigrain orzo
- 1 cup (15 oz) no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 package (6 oz package each) fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, or until onion is softened. Add chicken broth and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and add orzo, lemon zest, and chickpeas. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until orzo is al dente.
- Stir in basil, lemon juice, pepper, salt, and spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
Serving size: 1 cup
Per Serving: Calories: 259 Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 6mg Sodium: 333mg Carbohydrates: 37g Fiber: 7g Protein: 13g
Copyright 2016-2022 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: February 6, 2017