Prepare this easy stuffing in a baking dish, or use it to stuff the turkey. This healthy stuffing gets its sweetness from the apples and a unique flavor from the onion and walnut combination.
- 30 slices whole wheat bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 egg plus 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp sage
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cubed
- Black pepper to taste
- On a large baking sheet, toast bread cubes in the oven. Allow the toasted bread to sit approximately 24 hours, until hard.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly coat a large ovenproof baking dish (9 x 13 inch) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the onion and celery and slowly cook until soft. Remove from heat.
- Add the eggs, chicken broth and breadcrumbs to onion mixture. Mix together thoroughly. Mix in the rubbed sage, garlic powder, walnuts, apples and pepper.
- Press the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 1 hour, or until the top is browned and crisp.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Per Serving: Calories: 209 Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 16mg Sodium: 369mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 4g Protein: 7g
Copyright 2016-2023 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Health eCooks® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: February 6, 2017
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Medical Review: Jane Schwartz, RDN, CLT