Despite many improvements in vehicle safety, car accidents are still responsible for a large number of physical injuries and deaths in the US. Nearly one out of 10 injury-related visits to the emergency room are due to accidents on American roadways. The most commonly experienced injuries from car accidents are bruises, back and neck sprains and strains, and spine injuries.
Call 911 as soon as you can if you experienced or witnessed a car accident injury in Central California. If your injury is not life-threatening and you are able, go to a Dignity Health Central California emergency room for a full medical examination and personal care. Select your estimated arrival time to one of our ERs using our online waiting service, InQuicker.
Common symptoms of car accident injuries
Car accidents can cause a wide variety of injuries. The symptoms you may experience depend on the specific injury. Symptoms can include:
- Pain, swelling, and bruising
- Neck pain or stiffness
- Back pain, including discomfort in the shoulder blades, rib cage, or lower back
- Spine injury symptoms such as pain, numbness, or tingling in the arms, shoulders, legs, or the buttocks
If you were in a car accident, you are most likely to have one of these injuries:
- Sprains and strains of the neck and back
- Spine injuries
- Sprains and strains other than of the neck and back
- Fractures of the legs, pelvis, ribs, or arms
- Open wounds
Get help right away for any of the above injuries.
Treating car accident injuries at Dignity Health Central California
If you are injured in a car accident, chances are that your doctor will order an imaging exam (X-ray, CT scan) to fully understand your trauma. Your treatment plan will depend on your diagnosis and symptoms.
You can lower your risk of injury during a car accident by using a seatbelt every time you are in a vehicle. Keep children safe by using a booster seat or car seat if they are under the age of nine or shorter than 57 inches.
Follow these tips to avoid causing a car accident:
- Designate a sober driver.
- Do not text while driving, or engage in other activities that take your attention away from the road.
- Be sure your vehicle is well maintained and road ready — tires inflated properly, turn signals working, windshield wipers in good condition, etc.
Experts at Dignity Health Central California hospitals are here to help you maintain your health. Access the patient portal for our hospitals to make appointments, share your personal health information with your doctors, and more.
Dignity Health Central California can promptly treat your car accident injury in Bakersfield, Merced, San Andreas, and Stockton, CA.