Dystonia is a type of movement disorder that affects nerves, resulting in muscle spasms that can’t be controlled and are often painful. While there’s no cure, neurologists at Dignity Health Central California offer the latest treatments and therapies to ease symptoms and make daily life more comfortable.
If you or a loved one would like to meet with a trusted provider about dystonia treatment in Central California, Find a Doctor online that practices at a location near you.
Dignity Health Central California is dedicated to helping people with dystonia live better through clinical care and humankindness.
Types of Dystonia Treatment
Treatment can vary, depending on the severity of dystonia symptoms and which part(s) of the body is affected. Dystonia can occur in a single area, such as the eyelids or fingers, or in muscle groups throughout the body.
Currently, treatments for dystonia include:
- Medication taken by mouth. This can help change the way the brain’s chemicals, called neurotransmitters, function. These chemicals help the brain communicate with the muscles and nerve tissues in the body. Medications can slow down or block the signals to help reduce muscle spasms.
- Supportive services and therapy. Things like physical, speech, and occupational therapy may be helpful in improving coordination and voice skills for those with moderate to severe dystonia.
- Deep brain stimulation. DBS treatment may be helpful if dystonia symptoms don’t improve with medications taken by mouth. A device is implanted in the brain to disrupt the excessive electrical signals that are thought to cause involuntary muscle spasms.
- Botulinum toxin. A special medication is injected directly into muscles or muscle groups that are causing involuntary movements. It’s very useful in cases of eyelid twitching and other forms of dystonia that affects eye muscles.
- Nerve surgery. This may be recommended to control severe dystonia that causes twisting and jerking movements. During surgery, the surgeon finds the affected nerves and disconnects them from the muscle fibers, effectively stopping the muscle spasms.
Considering Treatment at Dignity Health Central California
Each therapy and treatment has benefits and risks. Talk with your doctor about each one and whether you’re eligible for certain treatments. Some, such as botulinum toxin therapy, require follow-up care every few months. Others, including deep brain stimulation, may not be right for everyone.
Together with your doctor, you can plan a treatment strategy that focuses on your symptoms. The goal of dystonia treatment at Dignity Health Central California will be to improve your quality of life.
Dignity Health Central California offers complete neurology services , including advanced treatment for dystonia in Bakersfield, and Stockton, CA.