Multiple Sclerosis Treatment in Central California
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a disorder that affects the nerves of the brain and spine, causing nerve damage and decreased neurological functioning. The effects of MS can’t be reversed, so the earlier treatment takes place, the better.
At Dignity Health Central California, our neurologists offer the latest therapies for MS to improve physical and cognitive skills. To learn your options for MS treatment in Central California, Find a Doctor at a hospital near you.
Types of MS Treatment at Dignity Health Central California
Our doctors offer personal care and humankindness when delivering treatment for multiple sclerosis. While every person is different, the goals of care often include slowing the disease’s progression, restoring physical abilities, and providing additional types of support.
Treatment for MS may include:
- Medications for related conditions, such as pain, emotional changes, fatigue, or bladder dysfunction
- Medications for the immune system to reduce inflammation caused by MS
- Physical therapy to support muscle strength and function
- Cognitive therapy for reasoning and problem-solving
- Occupational therapy to help improve certain abilities, such as swallowing and other everyday activities
- Speech therapy to help with speaking difficulties
- Vocational therapy to aid with disabilities caused by MS
- Assistive devices, such as walkers, wheelchairs, or canes
- Braces and orthotics for conditions such as foot drop
- Social support to help encourage independent living and a better quality of life
Therapy and support for MS is provided by comprehensive health care teams at Dignity Health Central California.
Considering Treatment for MS with Personalized Care
If you’re interested in learning more about the options for treating MS, a doctor at Dignity Health Central California can explain the details of each, including the benefits and any associated risks. Medications for MS may have certain risks or side effects. Your doctor can go over these and create a plan to minimize or manage them.
Each person is different, so our providers focus on addressing specific symptoms and any future problems. It will be important to follow your doctor’s instructions carefully to avoid MS flare-ups or attacks. With your doctor’s guidance, you or a loved one can take an active role in treatment, in order to achieve the most optimal outcome.
Dignity Health Central California extends compassionate, personalized treatment for MS in Bakersfield, and Stockton, CA.