Trusted Stroke Treatment in Central California
In the event of a stroke, treatment is vital for preserving brain function and reducing complications caused by brain damage during a stroke. A stroke occurs when blood flow to the brain is interrupted, which can be the result of a blood clot or bleeding. If this happens, oxygen-rich can no longer reach the brain, which is a serious, life-threatening medical emergency.
Stroke centers at Dignity Health Central California provide specialized care to evaluate stroke symptoms and diagnose the cause. Our telestroke program provides on-call neurologists 24 hours a day, seven days a week if you don’t live close to a fully-staffed stroke facility.
To learn more about our stroke treatment in Central California, Find a Doctor online or visit one of our hospitals:
Types of Stroke Treatment at Dignity Health Central California
The effects of a stroke can cause disability and limit neurological functioning. For this reason, quick diagnosis and prompt treatment is necessary to preserve a person’s cognitive and physical abilities.
Providers at Dignity Health Central California offer the following types of stroke care:
- Treatment for all types of stroke typically includes rehabilitation, medications to treat underlying conditions, and lifestyle modifications, such as heart-healthy diet and exercise.
- Ischemic stroke treatment may include either a tPA medication to dissolve the blood clot, minimally invasive surgery to remove the clot, or both.
- Hemorrhagic stroke treatment often includes minimally invasive or open surgery to stop bleeding in the brain.
What to Expect: Considering Treatment for Stroke
In many cases, there may not be many options for someone who has experienced a stroke. Because time is of the essence, doctors, urgent care providers, and neurologists work very quickly to determine the problem and administer treatment.
When possible, doctors at Dignity Health Central California will advise stroke patients and their family members about any medications or surgical procedures needed to treat the stroke.
Our providers take special care to observe and respect wishes or beliefs related to medical interventions, so be sure to tell your care team about these.
How to Prevent a Stroke
The best way to prevent a stroke from happening is to make heart-healthy lifestyle choices and take precautions to protect your brain from injury. Your doctor may recommend that you:
- Eat a heart-healthy diet to keep your cholesterol down.
- Quit smoking.
- Control your blood sugar if you have diabetes.
- Get plenty of exercise (at least 30 minutes a day).
- Treat any underlying medical problems, such as high blood pressure or cholesterol.
- Wear a seatbelt while in a car, a bike helmet when riding a bike, and other protective gear when participating in sports or other related activities.
Take our stroke risk assessment now. If your risk of stroke is high, meet with a Dignity Health Central California doctor for personalized treatment.
Dignity Health Central California offers quality treatment for stroke in Bakersfield, Merced, San Andreas, and Stockton, CA.