Infection is how your body responds to microbes that cause disease, such as viruses, fungi, or bacteria. Common infections in women include:
To address the unique and individual needs of a woman’s health care, Dignity Health Central California provides comprehensive care tailored to support all stages of her life. Our caring experts can diagnose your infection and provide personalized treatment. Find a Doctor who treats infections in Central California using our online tool.
Symptoms of Infections
Symptoms of infection vary due to the location of infection, the type, and its severity. They include:
- Inflammation (swelling)
- Fever, although not all infections cause fever
What Causes Infections?
Infections are caused by tiny germs that live all around us, including viruses, bacteria, and fungi. Certain things can increase your likelihood of infection, including:
- Some medications. Immunosuppressant drugs taken after organ transplant and corticosteroids increase the risk of infection. Antibiotics, which are used to cure bacterial infections, can cause yeast infections.
- Decreased immunity. Medical conditions or treatments, such as HIV, diabetes, or chemotherapy, can increase the risk of infection if they lower your immunity.
- Sexual activity. Sex or use of sex toys can push germs into the reproductive or urinary tracts, especially in women.
- Changes in hormone levels. Hormone shifts during menopause and pregnancy can increase the risk of infection.
- Introduction of foreign materials or objects. Germs can travel up a catheter (a tube to drain urine from the bladder), increasing the risk of infection. Because it makes it harder to empty the bladder, using a diaphragm for birth control increases the risk of urinary tract infections.
Proper hygiene can help prevent many infections. This includes:
- Changing out of wet clothing and undergarments as soon as possible
- Wearing cotton underwear
- Wiping from front to back after using the toilet
- Urinating after sex
- Not douching
Gynecological Infection Treatment at Dignity Health Central California
Infections in women’s urinary and reproductive tracts are usually caused by fungi or bacteria. So, they are usually treated with antifungal medication or antibiotics. Depending on the medication, it may be taken by mouth (pills), inserted into the vagina (suppositories), or applied to the genital region (creams and lotions).
Proper treatment will reduce discomfort and improve your overall health. If not treated, some infections can cause complications, so talk to your doctor if you notice symptoms.
Dignity Health Central California offers comprehensive and compassionate care for common women’s infections in Bakersfield, Merced, San Andreas, and Stockton, CA.